Exformation is part of our everyday journey—taking out the trash, exhaling deep breaths, getting cranky and growling…but dancing also balances and returns us to being happy.
Our bodies fill up with energy and thought residue, much of which does not belong to us. We receive so much information each day directly on a body to body level. If you can’t understand why you are feeling icky it may be because you have taken in TOO MUCH or that you have taken in physical experiences that are not yours to solve.
The fastest way to move out excess energy is to visualize this as your intent and then to literally dance or move. I like to make sweeping movements to clear my space. Sometimes I ground myself and fling out energy on the walls. Sometimes I Know I am “full of something.” That is when I feel into the movement and literally create a dance. When I do this it is best to have a witness who has an easy focus. This often helps me feel grounded. I know someone else is watching out for me.
One of the simple practices to exform is to dance with jerky and smooth. Letting the jerky energy back into daily life in a creative way shows us that our range of movement is a gift not a curse.
Try this little dance on your own or with a partner. (from Dance: A Sacred Art)
For ten seconds, make jerky movements.
- For another ten seconds, make jerky and slow movements.
- For ten seconds, make smooth movements.
- For another ten seconds, make smooth and fast movements.
- Then, combine smooth and jerky moves any way you want, imagining anything that has “jerked you around”or that you’d like to “smooth out.”
- If jerky movements are enlivening, do more of them. Even if you’re required to hold your energy back at work, at school, or at home, you don’t have to now.
- If the jerky movements challenge you, take them as a confession, a brief way to own the complex dynamics you hold.
- Now play some music as you dance to exform.
- When the dance is over, take a deep breath. Notice if there is more to move out. If so, continue.
- When you are ready, rest in stillness. You may want to journal to reflect.
Exformation is only one of the routes to healing through dance.
April 27 I will share with the Ruby Way Online Dance Practice4 The Need for Confessional Rituals- Telling Our Truth and Noticing What is is.
May 4 is on Regaining Vitality by Playing with the No No Dances: Honoring Shadows and Masks
May 11 — a very powerful tool— I’ll be talking about Trauma and Soul Retrieval, and we will do some Dancing on Behalf of.
Participants are welcome to join anytime. If this is your first class email me at email@example.com. I will set you up with your first session for free. Or, you can go straight to the Ruby Way link and sign up. It’s just $49 for four sessions.
Upcoming sessions are on Dance and Life Purpose. Here is the link to the class. You can join anytime….
Where the mind learns to dance with body and soul!
Grateful to Ruth Showalter for her art and friendship. See Coffee With Hallelujah: Discussing Matters Most Important to Artful Journeying,