“A Coming out” Letter to the Hidden Monastery

December 2021

Dear Friends,

After much consideration, I decided to come out. It’s hard to confess how horrible 2021 was for me. The world, too, seemed to shine with a particular horror as I coached highly sensitive, creative, soulful leaders. Even for those with great healing gifts, play, and love, it’s just been hard. Maybe that’s why at the end of the year I called in the pink fairies, elves, and god-us-ess. Horror warrants its winsome opposite. How else can I make it?

What I am about to share is held alongside a multitude of graces! For instance, I successfully left my Executive Director job as the cofounder of InterPlay with supreme gratitude and satisfaction. My creativity, joy, and family remain intact. Christmas morning brought blessed serenity. My daughter and son-in-law decided to legalize their marriage.

Still—-Six months ago my daughter nearly died from heroin. Her opioid use started with a prescription in her teens for a back injury. Addiction runs in her birth family and my family tree, too. People with the genetic predisposition need forms of pain management other than addictive substances!

Sadly, our journey is not unusual, especially for the one-in-five humans who are highly sensitive. Neuro-sensitivity leads us to feel more, sense more, notice more, and care more. In the face of danger, we move toward mastery and when that doesn’t work to deaden or lift our spirits, we may transform into healers and activists who raise the flags in times of trouble. Too often, we overdo, over-adapt, and overextend. We isolate. We fight too hard. That’s why we’re the ones who also teach and find solace in meditation, contemplation, art, and play.

Sensitivity is a blessing and curse….(Continue to full letter here.)

17 comments

1. Amber Walker says:

My dearest Cynthia.
    Thank you for this gut wrenching, beautiful, powerful letter. It speaks volumes to me. Yes, 2021 threw some punches my way as well. Your letter helps me. I am holding your family in Reiki and light…thank you for your honesty and always stepping into places that are scary and awakening beauty and healing.
    I love you,
    Amber

2. Keith Victoria says:

Wow and Thank you…
    Sending love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love

3. Leslie Warren says:

Cynthia,
    I’m so grateful for the thread that connects my heart to yours. I really have no other words beside expressing my deep deep gratitude for you and how you live in this world.
    I love you.
    Leslie

4. Harriet says:

Dear Cynthia: Thank you for this important TELLING within our HM community! There are SO many instructive insights I feel in my spirit and body as I read and listen. Your private group for mother’s of children with mental health challenges sounds like it has particular medicine for you right now. As I sit with the hearing of your story, I feel stirred in my soul for the template of connection the HM shares as a body of sacred beings. May we BE more ourselves and have the resources to step/dance into this fullness of wholeness. Much love, Harriet

5. AJ Johnston says:

Dear Cynthia,
    Thank you for your courage to “come out.” My heart aches for what you, your daughter and others in your family have gone through. Our medical system is failing so many of us. Thank you for naming the extra hurdles that our BIPOC sisters and brothers have to endure. Encircling you and your family with love and compassion, aj

6. Bart says:

Dear Beautiful Human Cynthia,
    I have read your letter, and I do not understand it all, (living in an other part of this crazy world), but I do feel it all. I thank you for sharing your story and send you a little spark of love in return.

7. Sybilla Mahrt says:

Thank you, you brave soul.Your courage creates an opportunity for honesty and a flood of tears , many blessings to you, Sybilla