If you or your family is affected by addiction, then compassionate support is key.
Alanon is essential to my health and leadership. Here is the coming out letter I wrote to the Hidden Monastery in December 2021 about my family recovery journey.
Al-Anon meetings are available via email as well as real-time chats offered in English, Spanish, Japanese, Italian, German, French, and Portuguese. Find more at http://www.ola-is.org/ or http://www.al-anon.org/electronic-meetings
Al-Anon is for families, relatives, and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking or addictive behavior. If someone close to you, such as a family member, friend, co-worker, or neighbor, has or has had a drinking problem, the following questions may help you determine if Al-Anon is for you:
1. Do you constantly seek approval and affirmation?
2. Do you fail to recognize your accomplishments?
3. Do you fear criticism?
4. Do you overextend yourself?
5. Have you had problems with your own compulsive behavior?
6. Do you have a need for perfection?
7. Are you uneasy when your life is going smoothly, continually anticipating problems?
8. Do you feel more alive in the midst of a crisis?
9. Do you still feel responsible for others, as you did for the problem drinker in your life?
10. Do you care for others easily, yet find it difficult to care for yourself?
11. Do you isolate yourself from other people?
12. Do you respond with fear to authority figures and angry people?
13. Do you feel that individuals and society in general are taking advantage of you?
14. Do you have trouble with intimate relationships?
15. Do you confuse pity with love, as you did with the problem drinker?
16. Do you attract and/or seek people who tend to be compulsive and/or abusive?
17. Do you cling to relationships because you are afraid of being alone?
18. Do you often mistrust your own feelings and the feelings expressed by others?
19. Do you find it difficult to identify and express your emotions?
20. Do you think someone’s drinking may have affected you?
If you have answered “Yes” to any of these questions, Al-Anon or Alateen may help you.
Additional support and resources are available at Alcohol Rehab Help